We are proud to introduce our Spring 2012 Ad Campaign with Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley. As the years have rolled by, the expectation rises each year when we chose the face for our ad campaigns. We’re always trying to outdo ourselves and we put a lot of thought into this one. We thought that these girls were the best candidates.
Here are the reasons why:
1. I’ve watched Absolutely Fabulous, my jaw dropped, and I watch it still when I’m in a bad mood just to cheer me up.
2. I love how they depict the chaos and frivolousness of fashion and I still want to be a part of it.
3. They’re completely politically incorrect!
4. This is their first endorsement and we feel honored to be a part of it.
5. They just re-launched the show and are about to do a movie so the timing is serendipitous.
6. I want Edina to adopt me!
7. I got to style them wearing my jewelry and did the art direction for it in the shoot.
As you all know, I’m a big fan of using a mature woman in our ads. For political fashion reasons, I think it’s important to never have enough images of mature women in the market place. As I look at advertising I’m amazed how so many advertisers use models between the ages of 18-24. But the consumer in higher luxury stores is 35-65. I feel the message that’s being given to women is that they should try no matter what to try to look 18 It seems like a setup. The most impressive women I know have moved well beyond their teens. They are able to offer a faceted view of their lives and the accomplishments which contribute to their beauty.
The shoot was hysterical from the beginning. It was shot by John Swannell who does mostly portraits for the Royal Family, fashion photography in the 80’s, and is a master in his own right. It was amazing for me being such a fan of the show to see the ladies come in as Jennifer and Joanna and then transform into Edina and Patsy. I felt myself getting nervous and stage struck because I’ve been such a massive fan for so long.
We shot a short video of the making of the ad that is great fun, I hope you guys will enjoy it.
PS. Don’t hate me when we use a younger model for one of our ads, because we probably will…